Reasons Why You Should Major In Journalism
Journalism has emerged as an extremely popular career option amongst youngsters. After the emergence of social media culture and different digital platforms, there is a lot of scope for students who have pursued a degree in the field of mass communication and journalism. You can get a degree in mass communication and journalism in several universities and colleges outside India.
Journalism is an exciting career option to pursue. People can tell stories for a living and explore different places to find a suitable story. There will be plenty of news stories to report as well as the need for effective communicators to report it. This means that demands for journalists will never end.
Getting A Degree In Journalism - What Are The Benefits
- First, a degree in mass communication and journalism will enhance a person's communication skills.
- A person can master reporting, researching, investigating, and writing a good piece of copy.
- Journalism is a broad field and doing a degree will help a person decide which part of the degree he or she wants to pursue.
- Journalism course also involves other technical skills like:
- The course will also help a person develop the confidence required to become a good orator with their communication skills.
- People can learn crucial skills to become effective anchors on television or a jockey on the radio.
- People who pursue a degree or master's degree in mass communication and journalism will get a lot of industry exposure through internships and short-term training sessions. In that way, they get the required skills and an idea regarding how the industry works. Internships are often mandatory components of the course itself.
- A career in different fields of journalism often expects people to work well under pressure and stretch their working hours more. More than that, people will learn the importance of teamwork and how well they can be part of a team.
So why should you get a degree in the field of journalism? Here are some of the reasons why you should pursue journalism.
Scope Journalism has a lot of scope in terms of career options. As mentioned above, people can become a reporter, writers, anchors, radio hosts, investigative journalists, etc. This field is also well-paid in different sections depending upon the experience and quality of work.
Chance to discover A journalist's primary job is to ask questions and explore the context. In that way, they get to discover a lot of new things. Journalists who bring forward the truth from different parts of the world are lauded for their passion and dedication. While doing the course, students will get to do a lot of critical thinking and analysis.
Field-work This is the most exciting part of being a journalist. People will get to work in the field and travel a lot. They get to go to different places and meet people from different communities. This is better as opposed to simply doing tedious tasks in the same setting.
Professional Network No matter what work you do, it is important to build a network of like-minded people. They can be with you when it comes to a certain crisis. Working as a journalist will help a person create a network from different sections around the world. Learning how to be a team player, helps a person build a strong network.
Exciting Yes, journalism, as a career option, is exciting for people. It is a field that continues to grow and change. A century ago, journalism was limited to writing and newspapers. Now, there is a variety of media platforms to work on. This will be changing and there will be new developments.
Chance to do good As a journalist, you will get a chance to do something good by bringing justice to people. Giving a voice to the voiceless. Media is regarded as the fifth estate, and you will get to be a part of that. Working in the media will also give a person the opportunity to become the people's person by telling their stories to the public. It can be done by understanding the audience and by giving them what they seek.
Universities That Offer Courses In Journalism
- National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG)
- National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG)
- Dublin City University (DCU)
- MacEwan University
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Langara College
- Sheridan College institute of technology and advanced learning
- Holland College
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- Loyalist College of applied arts and technology
- Conestoga College
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- Cardiff University
- King's College London (KCL)
- University of Leeds
- Monash University
- Deakin University
- The University of New South Wales
- James Cook University
- University of South Australia
- Queensland University of Technology
- Murdoch University
- University of Canberra
- University of Auckland
- University of Waikato
- Victoria Business School
Would You Like To Study Abroad?
Would like to become a journalist? Or a media person? Want to do your higher studies abroad?
Contact our team members in Scholab. Scholab is one of the best providers of Overseas Education Consultancy.
Our team will guide you throughout the process of university application and visa application. We have successfully placed thousands of students in universities across Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Ireland, and the UK.
If you seek our services, then call us at +91 7902525250 or you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.